[Live-devel] Streaming m4v files from LIVE555 media server

Nitin Jain jnitin at ssdi.sharp.co.in
Sat Sep 29 05:12:29 PDT 2007

Hi all,

We are trying  to stream .m4v file from LIVE555 media server and receive using VLC media player or LIVE555 openRTSP Client. But we observed huge packet loss in wireshark trace.

Currently, Live555 code only accepts m4e extension but not m4v hence we added .m4v  part in

static ServerMediaSession* createNewSMS(UsageEnvironment& env,char const* fileName, FILE* )
in DynamicRTSPServer.cpp file as below

    else if (strcmp(extension, ".m4e") == 0 || (NULL == strcmp(extension, ".m4v"))) {
    // Assumed to be a MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream file:
    NEW_SMS("MPEG-4 Video");
    sms->addSubsession(MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession::createNew(env, fileName, reuseSource));
  }

openRTSP client could able to receive m4e files without any packet loss but for m4v stream there is huge packet loss.

Also If we run LIVE555 media server and openRTSPClient or VLC Player on the same machine there is no packet loss for m4v streams

Please give your inputs.

Regards
Nitin