[Live-devel] [Question] Streaming transmission rate of liveMedia Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 4 04:40:40 PDT 2008

>  >> I'm analyzing Live555MediaServer to find out how
>>>  the server decides its transmission rate!
>>>

>>  It's determined by the "fDurationInMicroseconds" parameter set for
>>  the source object that feeds into each "RTPSink" (subclass).  I.e.,
>>  its the data sources that determine the transmission rate.
>>
>>  The "fDurationInMicroseconds" parameter is usually determined within
>>  the "*Framer" object that lies between the data source object and the
>>  "*RTPSink" object.  (Note the numerous examples of this in the source
>>  code.)
>>
>I've always wondered what value "fDurationInMicroseconds" should take in
>video frames.
>A simple answer is probably 1 sec / framerate. Is it toio simple or am I
>correct?

You mean 1000000/framerate, of course.

>Anyway, I set it to 0 in my framer, for now, and it seems it works
>perfectly.

That must be because you are streaming from a live source.  If you
are streaming from a live source, then it's perfectly OK (in fact,
preferred) to not set "fDurationInMicroseconds" (which means that it
retains its default value of 0), because in that case each frame will
be delivered to the downstream "RTPSink" object when it becomes
available, even though the "RTPSink" object asked for it immediately
after the previous frame was transmitted.