[Live-devel] BasicTaskScheduler is not handling err 10038

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 30 14:06:51 PDT 2008

>I'm developing a RTSP server based on live555 and I've noticed that
>BasicTaskScheduler is not handling the windows error 10038,

So what does 'windows error' 10038 mean, which function call is
returning it ("select()"?), and why?

This is the second time in the past week that we've had someone (each
time with a "@gmail.com" email address, I might add) complaining
about the "BasicTaskScheduler" code doing something strange on some
version of Windows.  I am still waiting to learn what - if anything -
is wrong with *our code*.

If, instead, the problem is that our code is correct, but that some
versions of Windows are buggy (e.g., not implementing "select()"
properly), then people should instead be trying to get Microsoft to
fix their bug (if it's not already fixed in the latest version of XP,
Vista, or whatever).

Having said that, though, I *am* open to adding a Windows-specific
work-around to the code, as long as it's well-understood (i.e., not
just a 'stab in the dark'), not excessively ugly, and doesn't affect
the performance of the code on other (non-buggy) OSs.