[Live-devel] Proper subnet for multicast streaming

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Fri Aug 8 08:07:31 PDT 2008

Hello,

         Until now, I've always been doing my streaming from my embedded
liveMedia boxes to my PC, and they all been tied into my company switch
on the 192.168.202.xx subnet (255.255.255.0 mask)

VLC has always picked up the stream properly, and have had no problems.

When I moved my boxes to a local switch on my desk that I plug into my
PC using a separate NIC, I've been having problems since. The boxes are
all assigned (including the PC NIC) on 10.0.10.xx subnet, with
255.255.255.0 as the mask. I have an encoder box, and a decoder box both
of which run liveMedia (server and client), and the receiver can receive
the stream from the encoder without problems.

However VLC player on my PC seems not to be able to play the stream
anymore - it connects to the stream and I can see some initial
information about the stream (h.264 stream, it can get the SDP info and
all that fine, most probably since its TCP) but it can't seem to play
the stream; I used ethereal, and I can see the UDP packets floating by

Any help would be appreciated,

Jerry Johns

Design Engineer

Nuvation Research Corp - Canada