[Live-devel] RockwellCollins playback problem

mamille1 at rockwellcollins.com mamille1 at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Aug 11 14:11:12 PDT 2008

Jerry

> what are the specific roles of the DSP and your GPP (general purpose
processor,

The DSP handles the encoding of an analog input to a digital stream, and
also the decoding of a digital stream to analog output. The GPP handles
control tasks -- set up of streams, working with files, etc.

> I'm assuming you have a buffered interface between the GPP and the DSP -
> that is absolutely required when crossing two clock domains as you have.

Yes, we do have buffers. As Mr. Finlayson pointed out, the buffer sizes on
the receiving end may not be large enough.

> There should be some feedback from the DSP to the GPP regarding how
fast/slow its decoding samples

We're working on that. At the moment we don't have a accurate feedback
from the decoding side.

> Compensating using hacky techniques like modifying gettimeofday()...

We completely agree. For the moment, however, this gives us a quick
ability to get closer to matching rates. We are looking into where frame
rates and bit rates on the sending side (the GPP) can be controlled. Once
we do get better info from the DSP about how much data it's able to
process we want to dynamically adjust the data rates to match.

Thanks!

-=- Mike Miller
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Cedar Rapids, IA