[Live-devel] NAT and RTCP

Ken Seo ken.seo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:40:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm just curious, if anyone addressed the case I'm having now.

I have an RTSP server (Live555) running in my testing lab and recently put a
router in front of it. Then I configured port-forwarding options in the
router so that RTSP clients can access the RTSP server through the router's
public IP address.

e.g.
router: 74.210.123.123
RTSP server: 192.168.0.100 (Live555)

client: 74.210.123.122 (OpenRTSP, VLC, QuickTime)

Now the client can make an RTSP request just fine and start playing the
stream. However, the RTCP packets from the client to the server get lost and
as a result, the server stops the streaming with liveness timeout after 45
seconds. I've captured RTCP packets and found out that the packet's
destination is set to "192.168.0.100" which is the server's real IPAddress
and also is a private address.

My best guess will be that the client gets the address from the RTCP packets
sent from the server, then use it as destination.

Any idea, comment is greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Ken Seo