[Live-devel] trying to capture an .mp4 with openRTSP

John Zorko jmzorko at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 19:07:31 PDT 2008

Ross,

>> I'm trying to capture an MPEG4 RTP stream (sent by QTSS via
>> QuickTime Broadcaster) to a file using openRTSP.  The problem i'm
>> seeing is that, when I try to open this file, the system (Mac OSX
>> 10.5.4) tells me that it's not a movie file.  My openRTSP command
>> looks like this:
>>
>> pugsleypoo:testProgs jmzorko$ ./openRTSP -4 -w 320 -h 240 -f 30 rtsp://10.0.1.199:554/pugscam.sdp
>>  > pugscam.mp4
>
> A couple of quick questions:
> 1/ Are you able to play the stream rtsp://10.0.1.199:554/pugscam.sdp
> in a media player (QuickTime Player or VLC)?
> 2/ Are you making sure that "openRTSP" terminates properly?  You
> can't just <control>-C it, otherwise the resulting output file will
> be incomplete.  You have to terminate it with "kill -HUP", or else
> specify a specific duration in advance, using the "-d <duration>"
> option.
>
> If both of these are true, then I don't know what the problem might
> be; you should ask a QuickTime mailing list why the file won't play.

Thank you very much -- while I was able to play the QTSS stream with
the QuickTime Player, the problem with the saved .mp4 file was just as
you said (ctrl-c vs. sighup).  This leads me to another question,
though:

I would like to play the pugscam.mp4 file as openRTSP is writing to
it.  I know this sounds crazy, but i'm experimenting with an idea I
have, and the first test of said idea would be to see if I can play
an .mp4 file from a server as the server is generating it, and I was
thinking of basing my server on the openRTSP code.  This question may
be off-topic now, but do you know what might cause an application to
fail to open an .mp4 file as openRTSP is generating it i.e. is there
some bit of info that is written to the header of an .mp4 file that is
only known after the file is finished being created (though this would
effectively mean you need to seek on stdout, which I didn't think was
possible)?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com