[Live-devel] openRTSP producing bad video files

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Thu Aug 28 13:31:12 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I am having a problem with openRTSP recording video from a few Axis
video cameras.  I'm basically running openRTSP like this:

  openRTSP -q -b 80000 -w 704 -h 480 -f 30 rtsp://url > foo.mov

When I play foo.mov in mplayer, it's jerky and plays too fast, where 10
seconds of wall time will go by in 4 to 6 seconds.  Despite the playback
issue, the video looks fine.  If I try to play the mov file in Quicktime
(on a Windows PC), Quicktime refuses and says it doesn't understand the
file format.

I was under the impression that the command I'm using should produce a
valid .mov file.  There are a lot of variables on the camera for
controlling the MP4 stream it produces, so perhaps the answer lies in
tweaking there.  Unfortunately, so far playing with them has not helped.

My version of openRTSP was built from sources on Fedora 6, using
live555-latest.tar.gz on July 30, 2008.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike