[Live-devel] openRTSP producing bad video files

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Fri Aug 29 00:24:25 PDT 2008

On the Axis cameras if you go to Setup then pick Video & Image on the
left menu and sub item Image you should find a setting for the max
framerate. If it is set to unlimited it will go at a best effort rate
which varies by model depending on processor speed and resolution
requested. I would set an actual value in here that the camera is
capable of sustaining, check the datasheet at www.axis.com for your
camera model. As a test I would choose CIF or 320x240 resolution
depending on camera model and maybe 10 fps and see if that works for
recording and playback in mplayer. The settings you put into the Image
form define the MPEG4 stream. My 207MW is set to unlimited and QuickTime
is playing the stream from the camera using rtsp://... but QuickTime
windows Movie Inspector and Movie Properties do not reveal a frame rate.
Changed the setting to limit it to 5 fps still reveals no frame rate
value that I could find, testing on version 7.5 on Mac OS X Leopard
10.5.4. Using openRTSP to record and playing the .mov file back Movie
Inspector shows the frame rate I used on the openRTSP command line. The
SDP description from the camera did have 5.0 fps in the result which
matches. Setting the camera back to unlimited, the SDP says 30.0 fps as
listed by openRTSP debug output.

Playing the .mov file in QuickTime with camera and openRTSP set to 30
fps and w 1280, h 720 plays the movie back several times too fast - I
have the time display from the camera turned on so the time on the video
is known. The QuickTime time scrub bar is advancing at normal time but
the movie is over showing the last frame while the time bar is still
advancing showing it is playing back. I tried the same in VLC and 20 sec
of video plays in 2 sec watching the video content window but the scrub
bar plays at the correct speed for 20 sec.

Changed the camera to 320 x 240 at 5 fps, recorded again using openRTSP
with correct w, h and f parameters and the video plays back at 2x speed
but the scrub bar moves at the correct speed for the movie duration in
both VLC and QuickTime. This is with the 2008.07.25 version of live555.

I found some movies I recorded from Axis cameras using openRTSP a year
ago and they play back correctly, the scrub bar and the frames are in
sync and visually the time recorded in the movie advances at the correct
time scale in QuickTime and VLC.

Something has changed. I have saved most of the versions of live555
between those 2 times so it would be possible for me to do a binary
search on the revisions to see at what version the behavior of recorded
.mov files changed. Not tonight, need some ZZZs, it is late here, if
anyone wants the .mov recorded tonight that plays back too fast let me know.

Ron