[Live-devel] Recording an mp2 rtp stream for playback by Live555 media

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 3 18:24:11 PST 2008

>One question, though:  Why SimpleRTPSource vs. MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource?

Because "MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource" is specifically for receiving a
MPEG-1 or 2 Video Elementary Stream RTP source.  This uses a
different RTP payload format than MPEG Transport Stream RTP sources.

>It seems to have an option to do SAP, but i have heard that the
>VBRICK SAP is somewhat proprietary and is only intended for other
>vbrick devices.  Does this mean we will need to hand code a local
>sdp file for each video source?

If you are receiving a MPEG Transport Stream *multicast* RTP stream,
then you won't need a SDP description, because you should already
know the RTP payload format, the IP multicast address, and the RTP
port numbers (even for RTP; odd for RTCP).

If, however, you want to receive a *unicast* stream, then you
probably need RTSP.