[Live-devel] RTPInterface blocking readsocket()

Wouter Dhondt wouter.dhondt at vsk.be
Thu Dec 11 07:59:44 PST 2008

Hi.

I'm using livemedia to stream over TCP. In the RTPInterface file there
is a function tcpReadHandler() which handles all the data received from
the client (reports, commands, ...). This function tries to read a '$'
through a non-blocking call to readSocket(). Afterwards several more
bytes are read, but this time no timeout is supplied making these calls
blocking.

Is there any reason that these are blocking? Why not use a timeout? I
seem to notice a "hang" (could be a long block) when these functions are
called, meaning a complete stop of livemedia during that time.

There are other calls to readSocket() without timeout (so blocking). Can
these have the same effect?

Any advise?