[Live-devel] RTPInterface blocking readsocket()

Wouter Dhondt wouter.dhondt at vsk.be
Fri Dec 12 00:18:45 PST 2008

Thanks for the quick answer.

> If the RTP-over-TCP data is well-formed, then there shouldn't be any
> blocking, because the data should be present in the correct format:
> '$';1-byte stream channel id; 2-byte packet size; packet data. Perhaps
> the data that you are sending is not well-formed (though it you're
> using our server, it should be)?

We are using the livemedia client as well. The message is probably split
when this happens: first a command that will be ignored followed by a
report. But only the $ of the report is in the packet and the rest in a
second part. Not sure if this is possible. It might be possible that we
are doing something wrong, but the server should be robust enough to
handle any data.

> You're correct, though, that the code should probably be made more
> tolerant of malformed data (e.g., by including the (otherwise
> optional) "timeout" parameter to "readSocket()" and "readSocketExact()").

Ok, so I'll keep the timeouts.

There are other calls to readSocket() without a timeout as well. Not
sure if these have to have the timeout? Maybe not cause it looks like
there won't be any other data before those.

Thanks again.