[Live-devel] H264 streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Dec 15 09:38:16 PST 2008

>I need to stream H264 video from linux device to PC. I write both
>the sender and receiver part but would like to comply to the
>standard way of streaming it, so:
>How should I packetize the video? Should it be NAL packets or should
>I put it into transport stream?

For streaming, it is generally better to stream video and audio
separately, using their own specialized RTP payload formats.  To
stream H.264 video, see
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#h264-streaming

You will then write a "ServerMediaSubsession" subclass that uses your
H.264 video source, and your "H264VideoStreamFramer" subclass, to
send RTP packets via a "H264VideoRTPSink".  Then use this in a
"RTSPServer".