[Live-devel] Status of Live555 RTPS Client and Server using Stream over TCP

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Wed Dec 31 11:53:32 PST 2008

I know this is sort of a loaded question probably without a clear answer
but here goes.

I was wondering if there are any known issues with using the
StreamOverTCP option of the RTSPClient::SetupMediaSession() when both
the client application and the server application are based on the Dec
4  2008 release of Live555.
I ask this because I'm seeing two problems when I try to use this feature.

1.  I've created my own RTP profile for an experimental meta data stream
and I've created the necessary classes to stream and receive this stream
along with my H264 video stream and it works create when I do standard
UDP RTP. However, as soon as I turn on the StreamOverTCP the client
starts issuing all this "Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet"
messages and my application never gets any of the data. If I don't
stream the experimental meta data stream the video streams appears to
come through fine. Is there anything I need to do with my custom meta
data source or sink.
On the server side the MetaData stream source is derived from
FramedSource, the Media subsession is derived from
OnDemandServerMediaSubsession and it creates a SimpleRTPSink for the
RTPSink.
On the client the meta data stream sink is derived from MediaSink and
I've allowed the MediaSession object to create a SimpleRTPSource for
this stream.

2. I've modifed the RTSPServer to accept, handle, and reply to the
SET_PARAMETER request (a patch is coming) and it works great when I do
RTP over UDP, however when I turn on the StreamOverTCP option as soon as
the client tries to send a SET_PARAMETER request the client appears to
hang indefinitely.
This is probably my problem and I've just started to work it out, but
any help or suggestions anyone might have would be appreciated.

Any suggestions you might have would be most appreciated, I was hoping
that maybe there is a flag or something that I'm not respecting
(particularly with problem #1).  I understand I'm sort of on the harry
edge here so I understand if the only clue you can give is use the debugger.

Thanks
Matt Schuckmann