[Live-devel] Status of Live555 RTPS Client and Server using Stream over TCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 31 21:47:51 PST 2008

>After doing a bit more digging in the code and on the web I've
>discovered that the problem of not receiving RTSP commands after the
>play command when using RTP-over-TCP streaming is a known problem
>(although it is usually associated with the keep-a-live feature
>(cough hack

The standard way for clients (using either RTP/UDP *or* RTP/TCP) to
indicate their 'liveness' to the server is be sending back RTCP "RR"
packets (which are a required part of the RTP/RTCP standard).  Our
(server and client) supports this OK, even when doing
RTP/RTCP-over-TCP.

I'm sorry, but once you've made modifications to the supplied code I
won't (in general) be able to help you.  However, if you want to
experiment with RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming, I suggest that you start
using the (original, unmodified) "live555MediaServer" (or
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" as your server, and "openRTSP -t" as your
client.