[Live-devel] Problems "seeking" in MPEG2 TS?

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 03:58:23 PST 2008

I have seen the same "problem" by jumping between GOPs. If I drop
showing one GOP, and go directly to the next, then a black image is
shown (or a still image) until the point where the new GOP is supposed
to go. I guess VLC uses the DTS or PTS in the PES packets to decide
when to show a frame. Since I set the discontinuity bit in the
transport stream packet, it should have reset that timer, which it
seems that it does not do. I guess that the same thing happens here,
that it somehow gets data about the start time of the stream, and
since the PTS timestap is 15s in the future, it waits 15s before
showing the frame. Mplayer does not do this.

-Morgan-