[Live-devel] H.264 Streaming Help

Brian Gitonga Marete brianmarete at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 03:13:25 PST 2008

Hello,

I am currently testing streaming of an RFC 3984 RTP session from an .mp4
file. (I ignore/discard the audio.) I am using ffmpeg's libavformat to read
the .mp4 file.

As source, I have sub-classed H264StreamFramer. As sink, I am using the
ready-made H264RTPSink.

I then multicast the result.. It works, but there is a caveat: You need to
supply the client with an SDP file that has the sprop-patameters entry,
since H264 RTP packets are not self-describing. Alternatively, you can
extract the SPS from the .mp4 file (again with the help of ffmpeg) and
transmit them at regular intervals.

VLC plays the multicasted stream fine when given the SDP file.

The idea is to eventually use all this in a subclass of
OnDemandServerMediaSubsession so that H264 Streams can be served via RTSP.

It is still pretty rudimentary proof-of-concept work, but it works so far
and I can send/post the sources for you if this sounds like the sort of
thing you want to do.

Regards,
BGM.

2008/2/22 Aravind K <aravind.account at gmail.com>:

> Hi friends,
> has anyone developed a H.264 program to stream via RTP.I have an encoder
> that delivers  discrete NAL units .It would be of great help if someone
> could help me in this regard.
>
> Thanks
> Aravind

B. Gitonga Marete