[Live-devel] Problems "seeking" in MPEG2 TS?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 23 14:12:01 PST 2008

>I'm using the live555MediaServer application to stream an mpeg2 ts to a
>VLC client on linux.  I used the MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer app to
>create a .tsx file to go along with the .ts file.
>
>Playing the stream at a normal scale of 1.0 works just fine, as does
>playing it in fast forward or fast reverse, using other settings in the
>scale header.
>
>The problem comes when I attempt to "seek" in the stream to a specific
>time, or attempt to use the --start-time option to VLC to start at a
>point other than the beginning.

Instead of usng VLC, could you try running "openRTSP"
<http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> with the "-s 15" option.  Let us
know if that generates a correct output Transport Stream file (i.e.,
properly starting at the 15s mark).

>   The VLC implementation of the
>start-time option results in a PLAY request being sent with "Range:
>npt=0.000-" followed almost immediately by a second PLAY request with
>"Range: npt=<new-time>-".

This seems like a bug in VLC.  What version of VLC are you using?
(Although we do not support VLC on this mailing list, I will forward
this information to the VLC developers.)