[Live-devel] lightweight RTSP proxy server

Steve DeLaney onramp123 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 14:18:32 PDT 2008

First off, being new to liveMedia, I wanted to say what a great
job was done on the design and code.

Now on to the topic at hand.
I am adapting testOnDemandRTSPServer to make a lightweight rtsp proxy.

We already have ffmpeg streaming multicast MPEG4 over RTP, and generating an
SDP
file.  Now all we need is an RTSP proxy to serve the SDP file.   In
this case it does not have to start the stream, since it is already
present, nor is any port translation needed.

So you can think of this as a RTSP control plane only proxy.  initially
it doesn't even need trick play control.  the idea is to serve client
DESCRIBE by opening the existing SDP file and returning it.

I've looked over the RTSPServer.cpp and this looks like the likely
place to make a patch. it appears *Subsession* components are dataplane
oriented.  So I assume changes at this level will probably not be needed,
but maybe a stub Subsession type "stub" would be needed for
addSubsession(stub...)

I wanted to see if there was anything I might
have overlooked that would simplify the task, and if we are
headed down the right path here.  I would appreciate your suggestions,
comments, recommendations.

Regards,
Steve