[Live-devel] Export a video file from a network capture

Benoit snk4ever at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 00:12:28 PDT 2008

Hello,

My company is developing software for analyzing network traffic,
especially from mobile phone operators.
We provide them a way to know the quality of service they are providing
to their customers.
One of the products is analyzing video streaming sessions and we would
like to export from a network capture (typical tcpdump file) a video
file on our computer's filesystem.
I tried the openRTSP client combined to the mediaLive server and it is
close to what we want to do. Your software openRTSP already implements
the RTSP/RTP protocols and can write a correct media file, 2 functions
that we need for our goal. We have some RTSP based streaming sessions in
a network capture file and we would like to extract the videos from this
capture files.

Basically, what differs from the openRTSP program is that I would need
to read from a data capture file instead of from a network and to be a
listener of an existing RTSP session instead of the client for this RTSP
session.

Could you give me some hints about what files in the source code I need
to change ? I spent some time on the Doxygen documentation and in the
source code files :
- openRTSP.cpp
- RTSPClient.cpp
- playCommon.cpp

I guess that there is no API and I need to reuse the code of live555 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Benoit BEGUE