[Live-devel] Export a video file from a network capture

Benoit snk4ever at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:02:06 PDT 2008

> >/Basically, what differs from the openRTSP program is that I would
> />/need to read from a data capture file instead of from a network and
> />/to be a listener of an existing RTSP session instead of the client
> />/for this RTSP session.
> /
> Because you have an existing RTSP client application (and data
> already captured from RTSP/RTP sessions), it seems unlikely that our
> software could provide much more of what you want.  (The most
> significant part of our software is our RTSP/RTP protocol
> implementation, which apparently you do not need.)
>
> Instead, I suggest just modifying your own RTSP client application,
> and/or writing your own simple application to read through your
> "tcpdump" files.  (This would probably involve mostly just parsing
> RTP packets, and stripping off RTP headers, etc.)
> --
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Actually, I don't have access to the client RTSP application. This RTSP
client is embedded in phones like a Nokia with streaming capabilities or
any other phone (so I have no access to those phones).
So I'm interested by both the RTSP/RTP protocol implementation and by
the means to write a compliant video file, by getting the good
parameters from the SDP description and building headers of an AVI file
so that it can be correctly read afterwards by a media player such as
VLC. My application can already export the binary from a RTP packet but
if I just do that (and aggregate the packets' payloads of a same RTP
session), the resulting binary file is unplayable in any video player.

My application already can extract the SDP parameters and can isolate
the payloads from the packets but I have no idea how to export a correct
video file, this is why I wanted to learn about an API of a hint at how
to use this function of the LiveMedia library.

Benoit BEGUE