[Live-devel] RTSP REDIRECT

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 16 14:31:27 PDT 2008

>Does anybody know if it is possible to send a REDIRECT rtsp message
>from the RTSPServer?

Our RTSP server implementation currently does not implement any
server->client requests (including "REDIRECT").  Implementing such
requests is a low priority (in part because I think that
server->client requests are generally a bad idea).

>My custom Rtsp Server implementation process raw meg4 element
>streams from other network devices, and presents these streams
>through the Live555.  Some of the network devices implement a custom
>initiation protocol (for which I am streaming successfully from),
>and some also present a rtsp service (also based on live555).  For
>this second scenario I would like to return with a REDIRECT message
>when the device source has a RTSP server running.

A better (cleaner and more portable) solution for your second case
would be for your server to simply relay the initial RTSP "DESCRIBE"
request on to your back-end server, and let it handle this request
(and all subsequent requests, which would also get relayed).  If you
do this, then the client will be able to treat this like a normal
RTSP protocol exchange (and therefore will not need to implement
"REDIRECT" either).

To do this, you would need to modify our RTSP server implementation
(in particular the "RTSPClientSession" class) to handle the TCP
relaying.

The only drawback with this approach is that you would end up with
two TCP connections for each client session: one connection between
the client and the front-end server, and another connection between
the front-end and back-end server.  In your case, this is probably
OK, though, because the  front-end server is going to stay in
existence at least as long as the back-end server.  (The actual
RTP/RTCP UDP packets can come directly from the back-end server, and
would not need to be relayed, unless you're doing RTP-over-TCP.)