[Live-devel] Streaming live telemetry data

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 21 04:58:14 PDT 2008

>I am new here and have a question about streaming non multimedia data.
>
>I want to stream live telemetry data (so no video or audio) over the
>internet (bandwidth for each stream 2kbps) to thousands of connected
>clients simultaneously.
>I think RTSP(T) is the right protocol for this because the clients
>can be behind firewalls etc.
>I understand that I need a custom client to receive the RTSP(T)
>stream to visualize it.
>
>Is this scenario possible with Live555 Media Server and openRTSP ?

Yes - however, because you want to use a RTP payload format that we
don't already implement, you will need to implement your own
subclasses of "MultiFramedRTPSink" (for sending) and
"MultiFramedRTPSource" (for receiving).  (Look at the many existing
examples in the code.)

Also, at the RTSP server end, you will need to implement your own
subclass of "ServerMediaSubsession" (that uses your
"MultiFramedRTPSink" subclass, and your input source).  Once again,
there are several examples in the code of ""ServerMediaSubsession"
subsessions.