[Live-devel] Benchmarking Live555 mpeg 4 streaming

Kumar Bala kumar.bala at DSP-Weuffen.de
Thu Jul 31 01:32:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to benchmark the Live555 implementation of RTSP protocl. I
would like to understand the latency caused by the streaming layer in my
 system. Below is the system architecture

----------------------------
Live555 Streaming system RTSP/RTP/UDP
----------------------------
MPEG4 HD 720p Encoder (30 ms)
----------------------------
V4L2 Capture Driver (40 ms)
----------------------------
Device Specific Driver
----------------------------
HD CCD/CMOS Sensor (40ms)

In the brackets are the latencies caused by the corresponding block.
Assuming that the streaming is instantaneous, I would like to understand
how much latency is caused by the Live555 streaming layer.

Are there any existing instrumentation to measure this ? Is it possible
to reduce the latency of the streaming protocol. What are the best
points to probe to get a better understanding of the latency inside
Live555 ?

Thanks

Kumar