[Live-devel] Very large P-frames in a recording

Roland roland at wingmanteam.com
Thu Jul 31 11:24:03 PDT 2008

Hi Mike

Perhaps the P-frame is really that big when sent from the source?

I've used Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) to capture the raw network
packets, then go to "Statistics", "RTP", "Analyse Streams..." to get an
insight what the source is *really* sending... E.g. it turns out that my
source was sending flawless audio, but the video stream had corrupted
packets every now and then...

Roland

PS: One way to rule out the "mash-together" theory could be to have a look
at the big P-frame with a hex-editor. Look for sequences like 00 00 01 xx.
These are start markers for MPEG-2. Make a list of these markers and look
them up in the MPEG-2 spec in regards to what they mean (e.g. xx==b3 is
sequence_header, xx==00 is picture_start, xx==01-af is slice_start). If you
see multiple picture starts or the same slice code repeat, then indeed the
frame is mashed together.