[Live-devel] rtsp and keeping alive connection with rtcp packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 4 09:28:37 PDT 2008

>I've experienced the same problem with RTP/UDP.
>My problem is that the live555 library takes IP address of the RTCP
>packet destination in the SDP description (RTSP proto).
>My camera doesn't give this address in the c= field (if I remember
>well), it fills it with 0.0.0.0, so the library send RTCP packet to
>0.0.0.0 and it doesn't work.

0.0.0.0 in the SDP "c=" line (in the RTSP "DESCRIBE" response) is
usually used only for unicast streaming. In this case, other RTSP
messages ("SETUP") are used to specify the server address (to which
the client should send RTCP packets).

Once again (as I noted with the previous questioner) please try using
"openRTSP" as the client, and send us the diagnostic output, so we
can hopefully figure out what might be going wrong.

>There's a method to force RTCP packet destination otherwise.
>To solve the problem I'm using RTP over TCP and it doesn't need RTCP
>packets anymore.

Yes, but we should also figure out why RTP/UDP streaming doesn't
work, and try to fix that.