[Live-devel] User Private Data Streams via RTSP?

Bill Dolson bd at landform.com
Sat Jun 7 14:30:04 PDT 2008

Hi Ross,

What are the prospects for being able to employ Live555/RTSP to send
user private data streams in addition to audio and video?  I realize
zero with the current implementation, I mean via additional development.

We have Mpeg-2 Transport Streams which contain video, audio, and user
private data (PES packets containing private data stream_type=6) under
their own PID.  This data contains camera geospatial positioning and
pointing data and conforms to an NGA/MISB standard.

I have studied the RTSP RFC (2326) as well as the SDP RFC (4566) and
note with dismay that "control" and "data" are deprecated media types.

How bad a hack do you estimate it would be to add support for our
private data streams in your RTSP server and client?  The private data
PES packets typically appear at 10Hz or frame rate, sometimes slower.
They are typically only a few hundred bytes in length.

I would note that I have hacked both VLC and FFmpeg to support these
types of elementary streams and we are able to stream them as simple UDP
streams but this has its obvious limitations.  A more robust and
flexible solution like RTSP would be preferable.

Is this anything you would consider taking on on a consulting basis?

Thanks,
Bill Dolson
RIS, Inc.