[Live-devel] User Private Data Streams via RTSP?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 16 23:00:45 PDT 2008

>The user private data streams are as described in ITU-T Rec 222.0,
>Annex H, bullet item 3, "second possibility", "private data within
>PES packets under the stream_type Table 2-34" as private_stream_1.
>These are carried under their own PID as a separate elementary
>stream in the multiplex.
>
>From your comments I gather that when Live555 transmits an MPEG2
>Transport Stream you do not demux it and send the elementary streams
>but rather send it as am RTP/AVP MP2T media type ala RFC 2250.  I
>assume RTSP work with this media type?

Yes.

>While this would provide us with transparent transmission of our
>private data ES, we anticipate running on a very noisy channel and
>would like to have the advantages of having elementary streams on
>separate RTP sessions to make error concealment simpler.  This would
>involve demuxing the elementary streams and adding a media type and
>support for "data" to get our private data stream across.

You would need to figure out which RTP payload format to use...

>I'd be curious as to your feelings about the need for this.  The
>case for elementary stream transmission is made pretty well here:
>http://www.envivio.com/pdf/RTPvsTS-v4.pdf

Yes, although - depending on your particular environment (& packet
loss characteristics, unicast or multicast etc.) - there are other
options to consider as well (in particular, Forward Error Correction
(FEC) on Transport Stream data over raw-UDP).