[Live-devel] Transcode occasional jpeg out of mp4 rtsp?

Lucas wsacul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 10:50:23 PDT 2008

Thanks for replying.  This is off-topic but I may as well follow up for the
benefit of future google searches: I eventually found this page
http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_create_thumbnails, which has most of the
capability I need in the form
vlc rtsp://somevideo <rtsp://192.168.250.100:554/video0> -V image
--image-out-ratio=8
(and likely it is using ffmpeg to do the work as suggested)

On the first try doesn't seem to be possible to both archive video as mp4
and log the stills (like

vlc rtsp://somevideo -V image* *--image-out-ratio=8 --sout
'#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst="rtsp_save_test.mp4"}}'

), though the overhead is small enough I can afford to run a different
instance of vlc for each task.

-Luke