[Live-devel] Understanding testOnDemandRTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 17 21:50:41 PDT 2008

>Hi,
>I am trying to understand and modify one of the testProgs - testOnDemandRTSP
>Below is how I understand the flow (pardon my lack of OOD understanding)
>
>   testOnDemandRTSPServer ->  ServerMediaSession ->
>MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession ->    FileServerMediaSubsession->
>ByteStreamFileSource
>
>Instead of using a file as an input source I would like to use the
>output of a "blocking function", which gives one output MPEG4 frame
>every call. This function captures a V4L2 frame from a capture device
>and encodes it into a MPEG4 frame. Which is the right point where I
>should insert this blocking function ?

You should first write your own subclass of "FramedSource" that
encapsulates your capture device.  (See "DeviceSource.cpp" for a
model of how to do this.)

Then, you should write your own subclass of "ServerMediaSubsession" -
that uses your new 'capture device' class (instead of
"ByteStreamFileSource") - and use this in place of
"MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession".