[Live-devel] H.264 Streaming using Live555

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Sun Jun 22 11:12:26 PDT 2008

I think I've seen this question far too many times on this list already
- Ross, perhaps you should post that useful link you gave me about
searching the archives on the FAQ:

If you want to search for anything, e.g h.264 - write this in google:
h.264 site:lists.live555.com - I found it to be quite of help for me
when I wanted to search for material in the archives.

To get H.264 streaming working, you have to first understand the
structure of you h.264 file - is it an elementary stream? Does it have
discrete NAL units?

The H264VideoStreamFramer is a FramedFilter class - if you implement a
subclass, you'll get a pointer to a FramedSource, which would be the
source of your data (like ByteStreamFileSource, or DeviceSource) - you
would use it to get data through its fInputSource->getNextFrame(..)
function, and then point it to an appropriate afterGettingFrame in your
subclass that knows how to modify the data into a useful form. Please
see examples of FramedFilter classes, there are quite a few in the
liveMedia folder.

You have to know how to packetize the data once you have received it
from you source - this information to do this can be found in RFC 3984
(RTP Payload format for H.264 video); the ones you would most prob. be
interested in are FU-A and single NAL unit packetization. Those are the
simplest methods to get RTP streaming working.

The final document that would be of use to you is the actual JVT
specification. Its called JVT-G050 - read it and you'll see the light.

Other than that, I cannot help you much more than to give you this
simple advice:

Google's your friend :-)

Hope it helps,

Jerry Johns