[Live-devel] Client Blocking for Server

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Fri Jun 27 12:15:54 PDT 2008

Hello,

         I've been thinking of ways to get this realizable, and perhaps
its not but a part of me believes it could be - I have a client
currently that receives an IP address on start, and tries to connect to
the server and get audio/video streams from it. It is setup right now
that I know the details of stream before hand (audio parameters, h.264,
etc) and so it blocks till it receives data from the RTSP server (also
liveMedia). However, a desired feature for a future version of this FW
is to block till the server comes up, and THEN instantiate the
appropriate sources according to the parameters received (i.e,
SimpleRTPSource for PCM audio: currently I have to instantiate this with
already known knowledge).

The parameters would be in the form of the SDP, and I could parse it to
find the info required. This is not a problem if the server already
exists, as I have existing functions similar to those found in
openRTSP.cpp that ask for SDP parameters and parse them appropriately.

Perhaps the only solution is a polling of the SDP periodically till it's
available? My hunch was that since we're listening on a multi-cast
address, perhaps we can block on this in a generic fashion till we get
some data, and then start our initialization routines

Thank you,

Jerry Johns

Design Engineer

Nuvation Research Corp - Canada