[Live-devel] streaming rtp packets containing analysis information through livemedia

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 3 00:15:57 PST 2008

>Wouldn't it be better to enhance RTCP instead of RTP? RTCP is designed
>to report all sorts of stats on RTP traffic.

RTCP is appropriate if (and only if) the statistics relate directly
to the performance of the RTP stream.

>We are currently
>investigating enhancements where I work for the improvement of VoIP.

Please look at the RTCP enhancements (in particular, RTCP "XR"
(Extended Reports)) that have already been defined by the IETF.  (I
can't give support to any RTP or RTCP modifications that aren't going
through the standards process.)