[Live-devel] A network problem

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Mar 3 15:13:31 PST 2008

> In general, you cannot expect RTSP/RTP to work over a NAT.  However,
> because your server is really on the Internet, then you might be
> able to get RTP-over-TCP streaming to work, even though your client
> is not really on the Internet.

Is the IP address the only problem with NAT?  Couldn't routers with
correct port forwarding (on either end of the RTSP connection) take care
of this?
Also, I notice a lot of posts about UDP transfer problems.  Is the primary
reason that firewalls are often blocking UDP?  RFC 2326 1.4 Claims that
passing the Transport Initialization Information in the RTSP messages
allows routers to open the firewall as necessary.  Do any commercially
available routers/firewalls actually allow this for RTP?  Based on posts
so far, it sounds like if you have a firewall, you're SOL without
RTP-Over-TCP.

RFC 2326, Section 1.4 Protocol Properties
"   Proxy and firewall friendly:
          The protocol should be readily handled by both application and
          transport-layer (SOCKS [14]) firewalls. A firewall may need to
          understand the SETUP method to open a "hole" for the UDP media
          stream."