[Live-devel] MJPEG streaming over RTP using livemedia

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 12 04:22:32 PDT 2008

>     I was referring to previous discussions in the live media
>archives for MJPEG Streaming through RTP using live. see
><http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2005-January/001908.html>here
>and
><http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2003-November/000037.html>here.Got
>the streamer up and running in real time (getting width and height
>from JPEG header; Qfactor from MJPEG encoder). I am using VLC as RTP
>client for receiving and playing back the streams. User-Agent: VLC
>media player (LIVE555 Streaming Media v2007.02.20). The issue is:
>VLC player crashes often with error messages like these
>[00000304] main decoder error: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap
>main error: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap

We cannot help you with VLC errors; those would need to be reported
to a VLC mailing list.

However, IMHO, the best way to debug JPEG/RTP streaming is to use our
"openRTSP" client <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> with the "-m"
option, which tells "openRTSP" to output each incoming video frame
into a separate file.  You can then try renaming each such file to
have a ".jpg" filename suffix, and try opening it with a regular
image viewer.

>live555 debug: tk->rtpSource->hasBeenSynchronizedUsingRTCP()

That is not an error.  (It's a good thing :-)

>What is the difference in functionality of
>OnDemandServerMediaSubsession and PassiveServerMediaSubsession?

"PassiveServerMediaSubsession" is used for streaming multicast
streams (which are the same for each recipient).
"OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" is used for streaming unicast streams
(on demand, one unicast stream for each requesting client).