[Live-devel] H264 RTP Payload format

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 6 06:08:22 PDT 2008

>I have a Sony camera which can stream MPEG4/H264 video using RTP
>protocol. I was able to receive the MPEG-4 stream, but unfortunatelly
>I don't know what payload format should I specify for
>H264VideoRTPSource. Can anybody help me?

The camera should produce a SDP description that describes (among
other things) the RTP payload format code used by the stream.  Does
the camera have a built-in RTSP server?  If so, you don't need to
worry about this; the RTSP protocol (and our software) will take care
of this automatically (just provide the "rtsp://" URL to the client).

If your camera doesn't use RTSP, then it probably streams using
multicast, and the multicast address, port, and RTP payload format
code should be part of a SDP description which the camera should
produce.