[Live-devel] RTP from file

Miguel Angel Cabrera macabrera at solaiemes.com
Tue May 13 07:33:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 02:24 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >Which files i need to modify to read from a file?
>
> I'm not sure you understand.  RTP is a datagram protocol.  RTP
> packets cannot be stored in a file (or transported in a byte stream),
> unless you have some 'framing' mechanism in place to separate out the
> individual RTP packets within the byte stream.  So far you haven't
> said anything about what you plan to do about this.
>
> Perhaps you should first explain, in high-level terms, what it is
> that you are really trying to do - then perhaps we can figure out how
> our code might be useful for you.

What i am trying to do is to do interprocess communication between a
custom rtp stack implemented in java and vlc. The idea is that i
generate rtp with the rtp stack in java and pass the data to vlc through
a named pipe (with a representation in the file system). This is to have
better efficiency and not using net resources.