[Live-devel] Trick play with scrambled content

Paul Osborne scrampus77 at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 14 23:09:12 PDT 2008

Trick play of clear streams by re-pidding
video to 0xe0 (as suggested in other posts) works OK for a number of MPEG2 transport streams we have been testing with.

I am interested in trick play of scrambled/encrypted content as produced by typical conditional access or DRM systems.

Normal playout of encrypted streams and pause works well but
trick play of _encrypted_ streams does not work.

During trick play ...

- the streams don't contain any ECMs (Entitlement Control Messages)
special TS packets for conditional access/DRM
- the transport stream scramble codes in the TS packet header have been
reset

It looks likely the server remultiplexes the I
frames during trick play.

I think the basic indexing process is working
OK with the encrypted file as enough information is in the clear to spot the I frame start codes.