[Live-devel] streaming and receiving with circular buffers

kevin fesselier kevin_fesselier at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 07:42:09 PDT 2008

Ross Finlayson a écrit :
>> What I'm trying to achieve now is to read data to be send from a
>> buffer (server part), and to write it into a buffer (client part).
>> These buffers must be circular buffers,
>> as it is usual on set top boxes. So, my question is : What is the
>> simplest way to achieve this (I don't want to use some pipe with the
>> stdout output from a FileSink for exemple)?
>
> Why not?  If you have only a single data stream (e.g., a Transport
> Stream), rather than separate audio and video streams, then standard
> I/O piping would be an ideal way to do this.

The purpose of my future app is to be able to receive data and to render
it, both in the same app, so I would prefer not to use interprocess
communication. Indeed, as far as I know, pipes are used to share data
between two separated apps.(I'm not really aware of these matters, so I
might be wrong). Moreover, I've read somewhere that this solution would
be less efficient (for some reason that I'm not aware of).

>>  Does live555 provide some kind of "BufferSink" and "BufferSource"
>> that I haven't figured out yet ?
>
> No.  You would need to write this yourself.
I'm trying to do this, by modifying the FileSink class (to create an
BuffSink) and the DeviceSource class (to create my BuffSource). I'll let
you know if I encounter some problems :)
Thank you for your help and your time,
Kevin.