[Live-devel] RTSPClient does not accept folded headers

Paul Clark paul at packetship.com
Sat Nov 15 09:51:41 PST 2008

Ross Finlayson wrote:
> This caught me by surprise, because I had never heard of anyone (RTSP
> client or RTSP server) sending headers like this - it's very unusual.
>
> I'll take a look at supporting such headers; however - if you have any
> control over the programming of the server that you use - I suggest
> that you change it to *not* send headers like this.  "Be conservative
> in what you send..."

Yes, that's a fair point.  This is indeed our code, and the folding
actually comes from an internal library of ours which generates and
parses RFC822-style headers in general (for HTTP and SMTP as well), and
it folds to avoid exceeding the SMTP line length limit of 72 characters,
where it is mandatory.  I had forgotten this and was also quite
surprised to see it folding the Public: header after we added
GET/SET_PARAMETER to cope with VLC's keepalive change.

As I said, we've worked around this by promoting GET_PARAMETER to the
front anyway, but you're probably right it would be safer to suppress
the folding in general if clients aren't expecting it (and many STB
clients we come across are using Live555, thanks!).

Best regards

Paul
--
Paul Clark