[Live-devel] client triggered rate increase

Vinod Kumar Malamal Vadakital vinod.malamalvadakital at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 07:38:12 PST 2008

Hello,
    I am working on a project that requires a server to increase
transmission rate when a client requests for it. Currently my setup uses vlc
with live555 as the client and a darwin streaming server. I need to stream a
.3gp video using RTSP. Before I start this project, I would like to know if
anyone has tried doing the same and if live555 has some constraints that
might make this impossible. I am planning to extend the control function by
extending the query in live555.cpp in vlc to enable this. I have written a
piece of code that uses libvlc to start and stop media playback. It is from
this code that I would like to control the rate increase through vlc client
to DSS.

I am a newbie to live555, VLC and DSS and therefore would like to get some
experts opinion as to how to go forward the right and easy way. Please feel
free to comment.

Best Regards
Vinod