[Live-devel] Live555 Compilation for VLC in cygwin

Guy Bonneau gbonneau at matrox.com
Fri Nov 28 13:59:37 PST 2008

> What's puzzling me here is that the VLC people use Cygwin all
> the time to build VLC (including the "LIVE555 Streaming
> Media" libraries) for Windows.  So they must have a
> well-established procedure for doing this.

My understanding is that they use the Cygwin development tools
to create an executable that doesn't depends on Cygwin DLL. I
mean they don't use the Posix layer of Cygwin. So this seems to be a
cross-compilation of a "mingw executable" on the Cygwin platform.

There is a FAQ section on the minGW FAQ about this: here is an
Excerpt:

...For those who would like to use the Cygwin environment
for development, yet generate non-Cygwin-dependant executables,
a much easier option to "-mno-cygwin" does exist...

What procedure are using the VLC team? Well as I said previously
the documentation is not clear on this. Do they change the
config.cygwin like I did? Do they use their own makefile?
I really don't know. Just hope that what I found could help
other if they want to "cross-compile" live555 on Cygwin for
VLC Media Player.

Regards
Guy Bonneau

I suggest that