[Live-devel] Problem streaming a live H.264 stream to VLC

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Wed Oct 1 10:54:13 PDT 2008

I'm working on prototyping a live H.264 streaming application using the
LiveMedia rtsp/rtp library and the X264 encoder.
I've written my h264Framer class and integrated it into the
testOnDemandRTSPServer and I can successfully stream the data to the
OpenRTSP test application.
However, when I try to open the stream using VLC it only displays the
first frame and nothing more.
If I open the messages window for VLC I see a whole bunch of messages
like these

main warning: late picture skipped (266012)
main warning: late picture skipped (266000)
main warning: late picture skipped (266000)
main warning: late picture skipped (282000)
main warning: late picture skipped (250000)
main warning: late picture skipped (250000)
main warning: late picture skipped (250000)
ffmpeg warning: Unknown NAL code: 0
 (h264 at 00B22B60)
ffmpeg warning: Unknown NAL code: 0
 (h264 at 00B22B60)
main warning: late picture skipped (316000)
main warning: late picture skipped (250000)
ffmpeg error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame
(computer too slow ?)

I'm running both the OnDemandServer and VLC on the same PC so I don't
think that there could be any funny clock skew going on.

I'm kind of at a loss for what's going wrong, but I am pretty new to
this stuff.
I was hoping that somebody out there might know enough about VLC and the
LiveMedia library to give me some clues on what to look for. For
instance does anybody know what the numbers in the late picture skipped
message are, they don't look like time codes to me.

Thanks
Matt S.

PS I tried stream to Quicktime Viewer too and it just wouldn't show
anything, although it did say that it was playing the stream.