[Live-devel] Problem streaming a live H.264 stream to VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 3 01:32:41 PDT 2008

>Could someone kindly implement a sample 264 streamer class for
>live555? A 264 NAL clip can be provided without any problem. This
>way, people can have a good starting point.

This not as simple as it was for MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 video (where we
already have code for parsing and streaming video files).  For H.264,
there appear to be two main difficulties:
1/ Figuring out when a NAL unit ends an 'access unit' (i.e., a
complete video frame), and
2/ Figuring out the proper presentation times for each 'access
unit'.  (The presentation times for each NAL unit within the same
'access unit' will be the same.)

For 'live' H.264 data that comes from an encoder, this is usually
straightforward.  However, for pre-recorded data that comes from a
file, it's less obvious.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>