[Live-devel] openRTSP, testOnDemandRTSPServer, VLC

Martin mli00 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 17:53:33 PDT 2008

Dear Ross, all,

I am new to live555. When I tested out the RTSP flow, Something I don't quite understand.

1) I compiled latest (live.2008.09.02.tar.gz) under Linux, every thing OK, no issue.

2) I downloaded and renamed "para.m4e" to "test.m4e", and put that under "testProgs" directory.

3) I started testOnDemandRTSPServer.

4) Then I run openRTSP with the provided RTSP URL from testOnDemandRTSPServer, something like:
          ./openRTSP rtsp://192.168.188.0:8554/mpeg4ESVideoTest
This ran OK and created a local file called "video-MP4V-ES-1".

5) Then I started VLC 0.9.2 to received the RTSP stream. This also ran OK and able to display the whole streaming video.

Everythings seems OK, but there are somethings I don't quite understand:

1) When I open the "para.m4e" file locally, VLC cannot play the video. Why can VLC play the video when streaming, but not when play locally?

2) The received "video-MP4V-ES-1" is different from the original "para.m4e", at least at the beginning section of the stream. Why? How do I know if the received stream is intact?

Thanks,
-martin