[Live-devel] question about when the first SR was sent

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 20 22:55:12 PDT 2008

>         Had it better that the first SR package is sent following
> the first RTP package?

You mean "packet", not "package".

>      If so, the Client may know the relationship of server NTP time
> and server RTP timestamp as quickly as possible

Actually, it would be even better if the first RTCP "SR" packet were
sent *before* the first RTP packet, for the reason you state.  I
think the RTP specification allows this (for unicast streams, at
least), and so this is something we may end up doing someday.

(In any case, though, a client must always allow for some RTP packets
to be received before the first RTCP "SR" packet is received - i.e.,
before properly time-synchronized presentation times can be inferred
from the RTP packets.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>