[Live-devel] RTP Extension

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Oct 30 14:04:55 PDT 2008

>What's wrong with putting your meta-data in another stream that is
>time synchronized with the H264 stream. I believe that is the
>intended way to do such a thing in RTP.

It depends.  Is the meta-data really specific to individual video
frames?  If so, then it's better to include it in the video data
(rather than using RTP), if the video codec allows it.

If, however, the meta-data is intended to be time-synchronized with
the video data, but not tied to individual video frames (e.g., it's
something like subtitles), then it would make sense to use a separate
RTP stream.  However, there might not be a RTP standard payload
format for such data, so you would need to define one yourself (and
implement it for our software).