[Live-devel] openRTSP producing bad video files

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Tue Sep 2 17:47:02 PDT 2008

Ross Finlayson wrote:
> We don't make available old versions of the code, and offer absolutely
> no support for old versions.  Everyone should work with the newest
> version of the code.

I am still working on this to find the cause of what I am observing and
have not finished fully identifying this. Here is what I have found so
far in case that is enough.

Axis camera is set for 320x240 image size at 7 frames/sec. The GOV
setting is 8 which I believe means an I frame followed by 7 P frames and
then the cycle repeats.

I tested several versions of live555 and was only able to reproduce this
in the version that is current 2008-07-25.

If I play the movie produced back in QuickTime player and step it one
frame at a time the seconds display embedded in the image advances one
second for each frame which is not right. After a few seconds of
playback wall clock time or 10-12 seconds of video frame time the
playback becomes normal with respect to watching time advance on the
playback. I also see the full 7 frames for each second in the image
while single stepping in the later part of the video instead of just one
frame like in the beginning. VLC also plays the recorded files the same way.

When recording from an Axis camera it is like joining a live broadcast
in process, the first frames could be P frames because on playback I
have observed green screen until the first I frame comes in. I mention
this in case it is relevant.

The annoying part of finding this is it doesn't always happen, on
average about 50% of the recordings have this high speed playback on the
front. It could be the initial part is very short in some cases and
difficult to observe. I tested 10 times with each version to get some
level of confidence the fast video was not on the front for recordings
made by earlier versions.

The camera and recording system (Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz) are on the same
100 MBit/sec LAN.

Looking at a diff of the source to the previous version the only thing I
can see that remotely looks like it might affect what is recorded is the
class MultiFramedRTPSource was changed to treat the first packet as
having packet loss.

My next step is to patch that change out and see if the recorded video
files still act the same or clear up.

Is there a utility out there that will scan over a recorded stream in a
file and show the frames by type etc. I could record in a format other
than QuickTime and use a different playback program? I got Dumpster from
the Apple site but it doesn't get into the frame details. I suppose I
could write one but other work has higher priority.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Ron