[Live-devel] Adding support for DV video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Apr 26 15:50:04 PDT 2009

>In fact I use a whole DV frame (120000-576000 bytes), which will then be
>split across a large number of packets.  I take it this is not the
>correct way to use frames in liveMedia?

No, actually that is correct.  Those are very large frame sizes, though - yow!

>I am currently using the kluge of setting the maximum packet
>size to 1372 = 12 + 17 * 80, but it would be preferable to have a
>virtual function in MultiFramedRTPSink that could be used to override
>the default fragmentation behaviour.

Yes.  Your '1372 hack' will work for now, but a better solution
(which I'll likely add myself) will be to have a 'fragmentation
granularity' virtual function (default value: 1), which will give us
more control over fragmentation.  Then the "MultiFramedRTPSink" code
will work even if the programmer decides to call "setPacketSizes()"
himself to specify very large MTUs (e.g., for a LAN) after he's
created the "MultiFramedRTPSink" (subclass), but before he starts
using it.

>How should the receiving application cope with packet loss?

Our RTP receiving code ("MultiFramedRTPSource") automatically
detects, and discards, frames that contain lost packets, so the
receiving application will get either complete frames, or no frame
data at all.