[Live-devel] openRTSP with no backchannel

Dave Henning dave at evlax.com
Wed Aug 26 20:55:37 PDT 2009

Part 1:

I am working with a system that multicasts multiple streams over DVB-H.
Normally, I receive an SDP file for each stream from the electronic
service guide and I view the streams by passing the SDP file into my
libav-based application.  However, this did not work for any of the
streams being generated by a Mango DSP system.

Enter live555.  By piping the output of openRTSP into my libav-based
application, the video from the Mango box now pops up right away and I
see no errors from libav.

First, thanks so much for this library.  It saved the day.

Second, please explain conceptually what live555 is doing that makes it
possible to view the video and why I don't need it for all of our other
streams.

Part 2:

During this debug process, my video receiver has an ethernet
back-channel to the server so openRTSP can negotiate the stream.
However, in the final application, the receiver will be a mobile unit
with no back channel.

Assuming the ESG provides the same SDP file that openRTSP receives
during its negotiation, should I still be able to write an application
using live555 with no backchannel?

I saw the basic outline of how to pass an SDP file into live555.com
here:

http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2006-November/005378.html

Will that work for my situation also?

Is there any sample code like this we can look at?

For the record, this is all running on a uCLinux/Blackfin DSP-based
platform.

Dave ...